The Santa Barbara County Education Office coordinates with our 20 school districts and the Santa Barbara Office of Emergency Management (OEM) during incidents such as Public Safety Power Shutoffs, fires, and other emergencies.
In the event K-12 public schools in Santa Barbara County are closed, a list will be posted at www.SBCEO.org/school-closures.
Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS)
The utility companies may shut off power to some or all of Santa Barbara County to help prevent wildfires during high wind and heat events. These power shutoffs could occur with short notice and could last for several days. Learn more at Prepare for Power Down. Get tips on preparing for PSPS from OEM and the Red Cross.
Register for emergency alerts from OEM and your power provider. For customers in north Santa Barbara County, register with PG & E or call 1-800-743-5002. For customers in south Santa Barbara County, register with Southern California Edison (SCE) or call 1-800-611-1911.
PSPS address look up
PSPS maps from OEM can be found here.
Fire and Emergency Incident Information
- Santa Barbara County OEM – maps and incident information
- Register for OEM alerts by phone, text, and email here
- Information is available 24/7 in multiple languages by calling 2-1-1, 800-400-1572 or visiting Santa Barbara County 211
- State of California – incident and recovery information
Emotional Support and Counseling
- Helping Children After a Wildfire: Tips for Parents and Teachers | Spanish
- Parent Guidelines for Helping Children Impacted by Wildfires | Spanish
- Helping Children Cope
- Listen, Protect, Connect
- Help Kids Cope Phone App from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network – Android | Apple iOS
- Santa Barbara County Mental Health Crisis Line – (888) 868-1649
- Health and Human Services Resources or call 2-1-1 or 800-400-1572
For School Administrators
- Public Saftey Power Shutoff School Closure Considerations from CDE
- Public Safety Power Shutoff FAQs from CDE
- Wildfire Resources from CDE
- School Disaster Recovery Web Page from CDE
- Form J-13A Web Page from CDE
- Wildfire Recovery FAQs and Resources for Schools
- “You Can Enroll in School” poster from CDE
English| Spanish | Other Languages
Assistance for School Employees